Fall

Leelou Blogs

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A New Take on Salsa!!

Many of you know that Jason and I grew a mini-garden in our neighborhood this year (and last year). We planted 3 tomato plants, 1 green pepper plant, one hot pepper plant, Romanian herbs and a cucumber plant. I am proud to say we did not buy tomatoes, cucumbers or green peppers all summer. It has been a fruitful garden.

Yesterday I went to check on it and clean it up after three days of crazy rain and low temperatures. I expected to see them all dead - it is the end of the season after all. The cucumber and pepper plants were done, but to my surprise our nutty tomato plants will NOT give up! We have about 4 pounds of green tomatoes still on the vines. Now, I am not delusional to believe these will actually ripen. So, I have figured out a way to put them to good use. I will let you know how these taste in a few days.

Tonight: green tomato salsa with onions, hot peppers, lemon juice and cilantro

Tomorrow night: fried green tomatoes Paula Dean style


Here's to a great harvest!