Fall

Leelou Blogs

Friday, March 5, 2010

Kitty Cat

I came home last night and found a lost kitty cat in our parking lot. She started "crying" and followed me to our patio. Now, everyone knows I am allergic to cats and not so much a proponent of indoor animals, unless they live in a cage or a fish tank. So, that makes this story even more surprising. I immediately felt I needed to take her in. So I picked her up (gasp...) and put her in our powder room. She started crying really bad so I fed her tuna fish and milk. She calmed down and was pretty content. However, I realized it might be a neighbor's lost cat. So I ran over to a neighbor's house who has two cats to consult her on my next move. Then I called my OPs (other parents) since they are animal lovers to ask their opinion too. Both Allison and the OPs told me to call the Alexandria Animal Shelter and see what they say. Meanwhile, I put the kitty outside in a cat carrier. She was not happy and scratched me up a storm. Ouch...The animal shelter people were very nice and told me that in VA there is no law that prohibits people from letting their cats out, without a tag. So it might just be a cat that is let out during the day but goes home at night. So, I let the cat out of the carrier and after hanging around the patio a few minutes, she went away. I thought - ok, she went home. 30 min later my neighbor Allison called and said the cat was on HER patio now. But we decided to leave her out for the night and observe.

This morning, as Jason and I were having breakfast at our kitchen island, we noticed the kitty cat at our door..crying, probably cold and hungry. So - here comes more tuna fish and sympathy from me. I am distributing posters today and sending an email out through the association. If no one claims her by tomorrow and she is still at our door tomorrow morning, I am taking her to the animal shelter. For some reason, even though I am allergic and not so much a cat person, I would totally adopt this animal...I'm nuts and a softie...but she is so cuteeeee!!!