Fall

Leelou Blogs

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Too Connected or Not Connected Enough? Aka the Facebook Disease

For the past few days my sometimes-long/sometimes-short drives to and from work (depending on traffic) have allowed me to think about how I connect with people.


This topic has long been on my mind. Having grown up in a society where your best girlfriend knows EVERYTHING about you (bra and panty size included) and you are connected at the hip, whether you are young or old, I now live in a society where most people are more reserved and private. And yes, while there are still those who have those relationships, most people have a lot of friends and acquaintances with whom we share a somewhat diluted closeness level - very different than what I am accustomed to.

One thing to add to this is today's electronic world. I have never been a phone person myself, preferring in person contact. But adding email and texting into the mix and lately I myself obsessed with checking email, Facebook and blogs - all electronic ways of feeling connected...but not really. While it is fun and definitely important to know what the most popular chick in high school is up to nowadays (waitress??), I know it really does not add any value to my life or to my existing relationships. I think I am connected, I feel like I am connected, but in reality that is very far from the truth. Nothing can be said on Facebook that cannot be said in person or on the phone. It might not reach all those people, but ... do we really need it to reach all those people??

So, as of tomorrow, Feb 4, I am taking a pledge to call people more and visit in person, rather than stalk online and send emails/text messages. I also pledge to not use Facebook unless it is for work (yes, we have two Facebook accounts people!) for a month. The point of this is not to be disconnected, but rather to try to be TRULY more connected with people.

What do you think, will I make it??