Fall

Leelou Blogs

Thursday, June 17, 2010

I'm Baaaack!

Happy summer! Only a few days till the "official" summer starts, but Jason and I have already enjoyed our summer vacation. We just returned from a long-awaited visit to Sibiu, Romania (with a detour through Hungary). It's been 3 years since I went home to Romania and this trip was everything we had wished for - and more.

We started our stay with a traditional Romanian wedding of a friend. 12 hours later we had eaten 5 courses, danced traditional Romanian dances and drank our fare share in celebration of the newly-weds.

We spent lots of quality time with my family - had grilling parties and a 3-day-stay at a cabin in the mountains. We ate everything under the sun, which in all honesty is usual for us:). We savored a lot of home-made dishes like sour soups, grilled meats and fresh salads, roasted potatoes with lots of mujdei, a garlic paste that is a specialty of my cousin Cristina; home made cakes and pastries; and in town we ate (almost daily) ice cream and crepes. All this was washed down with home-made wine from my grandma. A nice, semi-dry red with a wonderful aroma. Jason drank his weight in Tuica - he is a man's man. Hey, when in Romania, do like the Romanians, right?

We also took a 3 day trip to Budapest, Hungary with my mom and had a wonderful time. Jason treated us to a nice stay at a gorgeous Marriott on the Danube and we toured the city and ate our way through it (Gulash is a must, as well as kurtos kalacs, a delish pastry). I highly recommend visiting Budapest, I was very impressed. I also highly recommend visiting my home town, Sibiu, which has become a wonderful, beautiful place that has a lot of festivals going on during the summer.

Now that we are back in town, we return to work and our daily life. We have a few short trips planned for the summer including a 4th of July at our favorite location: Nancy and Bob's in the Northern Neck; a wedding which is expected to be fabulous in the Outer Banks and our fourth annual Assateague Island camping trip.

I also will be travelling a bit for work - next stop: Austin, Texas. Should be fun and I will def. have some BBQ and TexMex.

Here's to a fabulous summer for all!