Fall

Leelou Blogs

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Food Revolution

My new obsession is Jamie Oliver and his Food Revolution. I didn't know him very well before the show started, just bits and pieces. But after reading up on what he was able to accomplish in the UK, I was thrilled to hear that he was taking an interest in making a positive change in the US. God knows this country needs it - and not to mention how shameful it is that we need a Brit to come get things stirred up.

One of the most shocking things to me about the show was what kids eat at school. Having grown up in Romania, I was only in the US public school system for one year as a senior in high school and I knew how to make good choices for myself. Even so, I gained 13 pounds in one year. I know this was not ONLY due to the school lunches, but I am sure they played a part. When I see middle-schoolers who are obese and eat pizza for breakfast, it breaks my heart. What future are we setting them up for?

This is the first generation that is predicted to have a shorter life span than their parents. This is the 21st century, can't we do better than that in a developed country like the United States? No, dear USDA, french fries do not count as a serving of VEGETABLES!

I strongly support Jamie Oliver and all those who are FOR this Food Revolution, including First Lady Michelle Obama. We need to do better for our kids and ourselves - and in the process other benefits will follow, such as treating our planet better.

Today I found out that Jamie Oliver MIGHT be opening a Food Revolution kitchen in Washington DC in Penn Quarter. Right now it is just a rumour, but here you go: http://pqliving.com/?p=8343.
Here's to Jamie and to all those who want to make a difference in children's lives! Sign Jamie's petition here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution/petition.